Friday, November 6, 2009

Potatoes, Iberian Style

I don't know what real Iberian potatoes taste like, but this is my version of an incredible treat from my childhood. There was a restaurant that my family would go to every once in a great while. It was called The Iberian and the family who ran it were from Spain. One of the highlights of the menu were these lovely slices of potato, maybe a 1/4 inch thick, cooked to golden perfection, with a bit of fluffy potato inside to remind you that this wasn't any ordinary chip. I would order the mussels in a green garlicky sauce that came out in a cast iron pot and these dear potatoes. I don't think they roasted them; were they deep fried? No matter, these come close enough for me, and to boot they are an easy and quick dinner. It feels like something really bad for you, too, but how could potatoes roasted in olive oil be all that bad?

Oven at 400 degrees. Slice your washed, un-peeled potatoes, about four large ones depending on your pan. I use an old cookie sheet that I no longer use for cookies, and drizzle it generously with oil. Place the slices of potato in a single layer, drizzle for olive oil, generous salt and pepper. Let them cook about 4o or so minutes. Flip them over half-way through.

I served these with a dip that had yogurt, mayo, and horseradish. They were gone in minutes!

No comments:

Post a Comment