Sunday, January 3, 2010

Brandied Apricot and Almond Cake

It is bitter cold outside--blustery, snowy and f-f-freeezing. I am not going outside at all today, especially since I am nursing a cold. I have the help of a big pot of mushroom barley soup that has leeks and leftover chunks of that awesome lamb roast in it. And a big bowl of greek yogurt with walnuts and honey on top, as per my mother. We are going to make it through all right. Sometimes you have to do battle with a cold, and I am breaking out all the artillery. Citrus, lemons in particular, ginger and all sorts of tea are working their jujitsu on this congestion. It's a very restful war, but a war nonetheless. I hate colds.

Moving on. I want to quickly post this cake, because I love it. In thinking about it, I realized it's not quite a cake, although it could be with more refinement. Like with separated eggs and beaten egg whites, for example. It's more of a sweet bread or a tea cake. Or perhaps I can call it a rustic cake. It's the kind of cake that you can leave out on the kitchen table so when passing people can cut a hunk off and eat it right then and there. It's available. Not too precious. I like a cake like that.

I used my lemon curd cake recipe and just subbed in pureed brandied apricots for the curd. Then I made little balls of almond paste and studded the batter with them so each piece gets a bite of almond goodness. Blast, it's good!

So, with hunk of cake in hand, off I go to wrap myself in a snuggie knock-off and read the new re-vamped issue of Organic Gardening. They've done such a good job with it--you should check it out. Time to start dreaming about next year's garden!

6 comments:

  1. I hope you feel better! This cake looks quite good!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aw, thanks, Christine! I'm getting there...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love it all. Re: the vanilla orchid. It's not easy to grow
    vanilla orchids. You know it looks
    like a simple vine. It can grow
    to 20 feet or more before it blooms. It's easy to buy a vanilla
    orchid but hard to make it bloom.

    Love, Mamou

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh yum! That looks and sounds so amazing!
    Cant' wait to see what you make for the CanJam!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Mamou- Thanks! I wonder if you could grow one?

    Catalina - Thanks! I wonder why I'm not allowed access to your blog when I clink on your link?? A blogger glitch maybe?? Anyhoo, looking forward to what you make too!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete