Tuesday, December 22, 2009

Key Lime Curd Cake


Holy shizz. This cake is outrageously good. The other day I made some lime curd which was delicious. But I wasn't very careful with it, and it came out with some stringy egg whites in it, which is less than appetizing when you are slathering it on bread or some such. I couldn't find a proper cake recipe for the remaining curd (I love saying it--cuuuurd) so I put this little number together based on my banana bread recipe, and I might just make more curd just to make this cake. It's that good. Very soft and moist, sweet but with such a tangy bite! It's got my kind of crumb. And, need I say it? It's so easy. Check it.

1 1/2 cups flour
1 1/2 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. salt

1/3 cup oil
1/2 cup sugar (I used vanilla sugar, hence the little black specs in there. You can add some vanilla extract or a bit of scraped vanilla bean if there is no vanilla sugar to be had.)
1 egg
1 cup key lime curd (here or use Joy of Cooking recipe for lemon curd, subbing lime juice. Joy's is equally simple and a little more descriptive on execution.)

Beat up that oil and sugar. Add beaten egg and beat more. Gently fold in the curd. Add mixed dry ingredients into wet ones. Pour batter into greased pan. Bake for thirty minutes or so in a 375 degree oven. (I baked it for forty minutes and it gave resistance upon removal from pan. However, that might have been because I couldn't wait to eat it, and thus, rushed it...)

7 comments:

  1. YUMMY!!! I wish I could eat it.

    Love, Mamou

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is very interesting, it's the first time I've seen a key lime curd cake. It looks good!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wish I could give you some, Mamou!

    Thanks, Christine, I hadn't seen any either! It came out way better than I expected. It's sooo good.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I see all those pretty little black specs in your beautiful lime cake, which makes me think that you probably used a vanilla bean. But, I don't see that in your recipe?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey Susan! Thanks for commenting on that! Good eyes! The sugar I was using was vanilla sugar, so that's where the vanilla comes from. But I did neglect to mention that, so I will amend the post. The vanilla was probably a player to the good flavor!

    ReplyDelete
  6. How much cake did this end up making? Two rounds, or just one?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Faith - Ah, this post was from the early days when my head was still muddled from an infant's bad sleeping habits! Sorry! I used one 9x9 square pan. I'm sure a single cake pan would work just fine, as well.

    ReplyDelete