Tuesday, December 29, 2009

Ginger Pear Preserves

I've been so obsessed with making jelly that I've been ignoring preserves. These ginger pear preserves have made me realize what I had been missing. I can't wait to have them on yogurt, on toast, on ice cream or, yes, straight out of the jar. What inspired me was some local Flemish Beauty pears on sale by the half peck. I'm usually not interested in peeling and dealing with pears, instead just bypassing the work and eating them out of hand. But when you set out to do it, it's really not a bother at all. I love using a melon baller for scooping out the seeds of a pear. And the peels came off pretty easy. I get into the rhythm of the chore and soon enough it's over. I've done cases of fruit. A half peck ain't nothing. It's always the anticipation that gets me.

Ginger Pear Preserves, The Ball Complete Book of Home Preserving

5 1/2 cups diced, peeled, cored pears (I used a bit more)
Grated zest and juice of 3 limes (I used one lime and two tangerines; I really like the tangerine zest floating in the jam--pretty!)
2 1/3 cups sugar
1 tbsp grated ginger

Combine all ingredients and bring to a boil in a big heavy pot, stirring to dissolve sugar. Once boiling, cook for fifteen minutes until mixture thickens. Check for gel stage. When it has been reached ladle hot preserves into prepared jars. Process in water bath for ten minutes.


4 comments:

  1. Great combo of flavors in your preserve! It seems delicious.

    Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Karine! Happy New Year to you, too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the recipe, Julia! Just took two pints out of their water bath. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Tara - Welcome! I loved these preserves so. much. Glad you left a comment and let me know. : )

    ReplyDelete