Saturday, January 2, 2010

Greek Roasted Lamb and Potatoes

A couple of years ago (okay, more than a couple, but hey, who's counting?) I had the extreme good luck to get a New Year's visit from my friends Eve and Adam. Eve is an incredibly talented and intuitive cook who I've learned tons from. I often wish she'd start a blog cataloguing what she eats, because it's always the best stuff. She has turned me on to so many great things, from Hog Island oysters to Seattle's finest Dan Dan Noodles. When I lived with her in Oakland, Ca., she would take me everywhere. This was her home turf. I was a New Yorker, new to the Bay Area. Her curiosity and unrelenting spirit for all things good is unparalleled. Wine and cheese, falafels stuffed with french fries, Walnut Grove's best burger joint, the Cheese Board, Berkeley Bowl and Berkeley farmer's markets are just some things that come to mind from the distant past. A few years after the Greek New Year's we had, they visited again. This time Eve packed her suitcase to fly across the country with the most incredible oysters I've ever had, Totten Virginicas. I mean, need I say more?

Back then on that New Year's Day, Eve showed me how to make a Greek New Year's Day meal. I wish I had documentation from that day so long ago, but all I have are some scattered doodles on notecards. I'm sure I've lost some nuances but I'm never disappointed, so I'm doing something right. Right now I'm nursing the first of the year's colds, so I won't go into detail, but we had a lovely local lamb roast, with lemon potatoes, creamy tzatziki, and feta. This is somewhat truncated (what? no olives??) but we relished it nonetheless.

Thanks, Eve! And, Chronia Polla!


6 comments:

  1. Well, you've done it Julia. You've made me homesick! I should have known that you spent time in my neck of the woods. I attended Berkeley, and spent many a days at the Cheese Board and Berkeley Bowl. I even thought about moving closer to BB, just because I was spending so much time at the store. Good times.

    The Greek lamb looks fab!!!

    By the way, love that you know a couple named Adam and Eve, and that you reversed the introduction to avoid making it obvious.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Got to eat your yogurt every day. This is a MOMism. I got two colds
    last year in two months because I
    decided I didn't NEED to eat yogurt.

    Love, Mamou

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks incredible! I only wish we were there to enjoy it with you. Miss you dear friend. xoxoxo Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Christine- I love that! You made me miss the Bay Area with your beautiful and obviously knowledgeable posts on your most recent visit! Good times, indeed!

    Mamou, I do! But thanks for the reminder. I haven't been getting enough sleep. And, it's 10 degrees here. TEN.

    Me too, Evie! xoxo Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I need an Eve. I'm new to the Bay Area and a true New Yorker. I'm having growing pains.

    ReplyDelete
  6. They are a rare breed, Georgia, but someone as talented and passionate as you can't avoid meeting a person like her!

    ReplyDelete