Wednesday, January 13, 2010

Granola Bars


I've been wanting granola bars for a long time. Every time I make granola bars the traditional way they turn into granola bark, then granola crumble. What I wanted was something that kept its shape even when I bit into it. Something to take in the car that wouldn't explode into sticky crumbs all over me when I took a bite. I realized I had to make a cookie-style bar. I was inspired by some leftover granola from the holidays. I had made a batch that was a little too done, and less than happy with, and therefore never gave it out. With an excess of granola, which almost never happens, I ventured forth and discovered The Granola Bar. (Where's my little "TM" symbol?)

These were, as per my style, easy to make and intensely satisfying. Not too sweet, not crumbly at all, good crunch level, and filled with nuts (because that was the kind of granola it was). With a cold glass of whole milk, local and from grass fed cows, it made a perfect snack. On the road or not.

1 cup flour
1/4 teaspoon baking powder
pinch o' salt
1/3 cup oil
1/3 cup of brown sugar
1 egg

Whisk sugar and oil together, and then add beaten egg. Add mixed dry ingredients to beaten wet ingredients. Add 1 1/2 cups of granola. Bake in a greased pan (mine was 10.5 x 7 inch) at 350 for 30 minutes.

2 comments:

  1. My granola is turning blue from mold. I guess I eat too little
    over a month.

    Love, Mamou

    ReplyDelete