Thursday, November 1, 2012

The Force


The other day I went for a much-needed hike, on a trail I hadn't hiked in probably five years. The reason being it's fairly difficult, so having a baby or toddler around isn't a good idea, at least for me. As I said in my last post, my son is now off to part-time preschool, and the little bits of time I get are heaven sent. I relish my time alone, always have, so to have that bit back in my life is pretty wonderful.

I was having a lovely, almost spiritual, hike, thinking my own thoughts, the fall leaves whispering to the blue, blue sky, and this dreadful storm was still more than a week away, so that wasn't marring my elevated thoughts. And on the way back, as I crossed a small bridge, I noticed something out of the corner of my eye. Can you see who it is in the picture above?

Well, it was pretty special to see Yoda on the end of my hike, even though he was really a plastic figurine that a person had put there. I'll take special little things like that any day, plastic and all. I had been thinking about who I was, and what I was meant to do. You know, those kind of deep, and a little eye-roll-y, kind of things. Sometimes I like to worry things to death, like a kid who rubs a blanket on their cheek till it's threadbare (yes, I was that kind of kid), so I love hiking and the solitude it gives me for these solipsistic moments. But they are not times without merit, and this hike convinced me that I had been getting lazy with my writing. Although writing is one of my most favorite things in the world, I often put it aside, angry with myself for not being better at it, when really what I should be doing is practicing more. I was never much one for practice.

So, to get myself back in the groove, I'm going to start practicing here. I'm doing the NaBloPoMo again (I did it when this blog was a wee one), so you may want to unsubscribe if you happen to get this in your email inbox! I'll be writing mostly about food, but I'm not sure about the recipes, as they take time to be good. Basically, I'm going to be running laps, so it might get tired, it might have bursts of inspiration, but I'm going to try and hang with it and remind myself that practicing doesn't necessarily make perfect, we should be happy with the practice itself. You know, eye-roll-y kinds of things like that.

Happy Hallo-dingle!

4 comments:

  1. You go with your laps, Jules. I'll be the one way up in the bleachers waving and applauding. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Shae! That means the world to me!

      Delete
  2. Before I even started reading, I was looking at the photo thinking, "What the hell? Is that a Yoda?!" That's too awesome! And the observation of being happy with the practice itself? Preach it, Sister!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was wondering if it was too far away, but it's sort of an unmistakeable outline, isn't it? Now: back to practice! ; )

      Delete