Wednesday, November 28, 2012

Candied Meyer Lemon Peel


Back in the early spring, when I was flush with citrus, I squirreled away a large ziploc of Meyer lemon peels. I had juiced many lemons for curd and was left with perfect cups scraped clean of flesh and pith. I put them all in a good freezer ziploc and froze them for a wintry day to turn into candied peels. It's certainly a winter time task, especially before the holidays when you may want to dole out the candies dipped in sugar. Or to fold them into a special dessert. And if there is any left over, to brighten a February day. 


Candying citrus peel is really very easy, it just takes a long time. Basically, you are infusing the peel with sugar. How can you go wrong? Well, it's possible. There are also about a million different recipes out there, which confuses it further. I'm still figuring out my particular method, so until I have it down pat, I won't be writing it down here!

It's possible to make a mess with just about anything, even if it's something you've done a million times. Today, even though these candied peels came out great, I had a stellar fail when I scorched some apricot jam. It's the first time I've pretty much ruined a batch of jam. It could not be saved. And my pan suffered, too. I also boiled the syrup from the peels a little too much, and I believe I have canned some lemon candy. Sigh. Things could be worse, of course, but it's days like this that have me going to sleep a little earlier with a good story. 


7 comments:

  1. Candied citrus peel is such a thing of wonder! I'm jealous of your Meyer lemon peels. It reminds me I have some Eureka peels in my freezer waiting for me. Earlier this year I did some candied orange peels, using the method on Calabria From Scratch. A lengthy but successful process. I'll use those next month in panettone for Christmas. I've kept them hidden in the refrigerator so I wouldn't eat all of them before December!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I actually like the peels better than the curd I made! You make panettone?? My mother used to make it every year for Christmas. Do you have a recipe posted? I think I may try to make that this year. To be honest, I never really liked it, but that was me as a child. I'll bet I like it now...

      Delete
    2. I made it last year, but didn't post the recipe. I tried a new one and it didn't thrill me. This one from King Arthur is one I like really well: http://www.kingarthurflour.com/recipes/ginger-apricot-panettone-recipe
      I usually omit the traditional raisins though because I despise cooked raisins!

      Delete
  2. oh the peels... is it already that time again? i always make grapefruit for christmas presents... thank you for the reminder. and really thank you for your gentle comment at my blog - i really appreciate your keeping an eye on what i do.
    m

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So, what's your technique for grapefruit? How many times do you boil and rinse? Four? I hear that's the number...

      Delete
  3. I'm about to embark on a lemon peel candy-ing expedition for Christmas presents. Sounds like I'm going to need a few trial runs!!

    ReplyDelete