Friday, November 23, 2012

Sandwich Discoveries

Bark Friday.
That people are out today, on their day off, in a consumerist frenzy just boggles my teeny tiny mind. What the heck is going on? As a child, we never went to the Macy's parade. Actually, I still have never gone, and I'm perfectly fine with that, being a person who hates crowds. But as far as traditions go, it's an okay one. Outside in the brisk city air watching silly balloons float by? Okay. We also never, ever watched football, unless it was what you call soccer in the U.S. And certainly not on Thanksgiving. To be perfectly fair though, my childhood Thanksgivings were not a treasured memory. They were slightly stiff and maybe even austere. So, parades and football, okay, at least everyone was hanging out together and having fun. But getting up at 5 a.m. to shop? People, that's just the craziest thing I have ever heard. 



I know I'm preaching to the choir here, so I will end my rant there. Tonight it's now finally raining after a long stint of perfect weather. Like today, we hit one of our local hikes at around 3 p.m. and that sun is slanting hard already.


I made two sandwich discoveries this week. (Not while out hiking, though.)

1. Avocado-Sauerkraut-Greek Yogurt Whole wheat toast, on one side spread half of a perfectly ripe avocado (that in itself is pure beauty), on the other side spread some Greek yogurt (yes, with fat please!). Drizzle rosemary olive oil, salt and pepper on the yogurt. Put a few forkfuls of sauerkraut on the other (cabbage, carrot, apple in this case). Put the two together, chomp, and then probably if you are me: repeat.

2. Sausage and Kale on Parker House Rolls Brown your (homemade garlic) sausages in a pan, then pour in a half cup of white wine, let it sizzle, lower the flame, add chopped kale (from the garden), roasted pearl onions (from Thanksgiving leftovers) and cook for about twenty minutes. Heat up the rolls (again, T-day leavings),  stuff them with the sausages, kale and onions, a smear of good mustard. Repeat often. Those rolls were small!!


2 comments:

  1. you're going to laugh... i had to look up parker house rolls. never knew. never had. looks good though and i love the images of your thanksgiving past. beautiful! the energy of your kid crossing an old stone wall, fabulous. no, we stayed home, hating the crowds, but in a small way we really would have a tough time finding something on sale, snobs that we are, we have what we need and are happy that way. well, may be we could use a new stove, or a fire place in the kitchen, or a bee hive oven to do bread. but they don't sell that stuff at target, which is just as well.
    i'm making a pie in the morning. upside down pear, can't wait to unstick it.
    m

    ReplyDelete
  2. I couldn't agree with you more about Black Friday. It is aptly named. My plans for shopping today (Small Business Saturday) were set aside by a shared desire to avoid crowds and my knowledge that I don't wait for one day out of the year to shop at my local small businesses. I think you spent the day perfectly!

    ReplyDelete