Monday, November 26, 2012

The Apple Pie Bakery Café


Vanilla Sugar Brioche Doughnut
I won't lie. I really liked taking the weekend off. Actually, I needed to take the weekend off from writing. I had no time to do so on Saturday (preparing for a party), and no ability whatsoever on Sunday (recuperating from said party). And I've finally gotten to the point in my life where obsessions are recognized for exactly what they are and are treated accordingly. That is, they are indulged when possible. Like this trip to the Culinary Institute of America. There are a few restaurants there, but for now, with four-year-old in tow, I have to settle for their bakery, which is really one of the nicest little cafés in the area. And not to mention, a pretty spiffy setting.


We walked all over the campus, the blustery winds whisking in from the dull greenish-gray river that the buildings look over. We talked about the young chefs walking all over in their checked pants and white jackets, with various accessories, like ear buds, phones and knit caps. There were so many young women! And it smelled amazing right outside the main building, but as we walked towards the dorms the smell changed dramatically. Laundry detergent, cigarette smoke and the smell of junk food, like potato chips and cheap bowls of ramen (and not in a particularly good way). Still students!


We had fun running through the gardens by the Ristorante Caterina de Medici. (Did you know my middle name is Caterina? Now you know.) Last time I was here I saw a fat woodchuck nibbling on some lovage here. He was gone, but this time we found an old staircase that led to nothing. My favorite kind of staircase!


We were happy with our small, but filling, meal of doughnut, a savory spinach and goat cheese turnover and sweet apple turnover. We could have done so much more damage. See below. I think I enjoyed looking at these beauties more than I would have eating them. Maybe?

The serious pastries.

No comments:

Post a Comment