Wednesday, November 4, 2009

Winter Squash Soup

I love squash, but that wasn't always the case. I've finally managed to find ways in which I love it and want to eat it all the time. There's a few vegetables I have problems with, and I always feel bad that I do. I always try them, year after year, thinking that somehow my tastes have changed. For example, I don't like cantaloupe, but I think it smells amazing, and its flesh is tantalizing. But every time I take a bite, something in me just says no. That doesn't stop me from planting it or buying it. I love cantaloupe. I just can't eat it. It's weird.

Moving forward, I am now officially in love with winter squashes, and I do believe that I will try to grow as many as I can next year. I've had some squash vine borers in the past two years, so I'm going to move them out of the old bed and plant them everywhere else I can. The other day I stopped in the Apple Bin, a little orchard around the corner from us, and purchased this little gem. The sign said Marina di Chioggia, but they have bumpy skin and this was smooth, so I believe maybe it was wrongly identified? Or perhaps there is a smooth-skinned version? The newest Organic Gardening has a nice article on winter squash that was good.

All that aside, I made some soup. I can't rave enough about said soup, and I really think that was just because the squash was so good. The gorgeous orange color just shouted out, "I'm making you healthy just by eating my deliciousness!!!" I really think that the soup was saying this.


I roasted the quartered, de-seeded, olive-oil-rubbed squash at 400. Peeled it and chopped it in chunks. Sauteed diced onion, celery and fresh ginger in olive oil, then added the squash and about five cups of chicken broth and water. Salt and pepper. Pureed it with the trusty immersion blender. Served it with a dollop of greek yogurt. Chives would have been nice, but isn't that always the case? I rarely have them on hand. Is that wrong?

1 comment:

  1. Re: cantaloupe. Once I went to City Produce
    and bought a really fresh cantaloupe. It was
    called a muskmelon. It was so light and frothy
    that it was the best melon I had ever eaten in
    my whole life. Everyone said I shouldn't call
    it a cantaloupe. I have a problem with them
    also. They so rarely taste as good as you want them.

    ReplyDelete