Monday, November 23, 2009

Apple Plum Star Anise Jelly

I think I'm running out of things to wax poetic about regarding jelly without sounding like a crazy person. I was thinking about this jelly all day. I couldn't wait to make it. I have no idea what my obsession is about. I have more jelly in the fridge than I know what to do with. Even I know that there is only so much jelly one can eat. Friends are starting to get worried. I complained about Steve's collection of horseradish (three jars!) and he merely pointed to the collection of strange jellies taking over the top shelf. Sigh. There are worse things to obsess over, but that's all in the past now. Moving forward.

This recipe is loosely adapted from Christine Ferber's Green Apple and Wild Prune Jelly. Considering there are no green apples or wild prunes in it at all, and her recipe didn't have star anise, I think it's safe to say it's my recipe. I think she'd agree. However, I used hers as a guideline for measurements, which I messed with anyway.

2 1/4 pounds apples, Ida Red preferably
2 1/4 pounds plums, Santa Rosa are so nice
8 1/2 cups of water
2 tbsp. of lemon juice
4 cups of sugar
4 whole star anise

Chop apples into quarters, peel and all, and place in a good heavy pot. Add halved, de-stoned plums and cover with the water. Once this reaches a boil, lower the flame and let simmer for about thirty minutes or so. Fruit will be good and soft. Filter the juice through a sieve. Then filter a second time using a cheesecloth; it's best to do this overnight in the fridge.

Bonus! I ended up with 8 1/2 cups of juice. I froze 4 1/4 for future jelly; and used the other 4 1/4 for this recipe. Take the 4 1/4 cups of juice, add the sugar and lemon juice and bring to a boil. Add star anise. It's a good idea to use a candy thermometer. Bring the temperature up to 220 degrees.

Put the hot liquid into your (already hot) jars and process for ten minutes. This made five half pints.

16 comments:

  1. This jelly sounds like delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  2. if i eat any more jelly i'll have a jelly belly!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks! I think it is delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love reading about all the stuff you make. I'm lucky if I can get a good dinner together most nights. Wish I was there to try this jelly -- it sounds great!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks John!

    Thanks, Cathy--wish I could share it with you!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love the flavour you put in to create this jelly. Apple, plum and star anise is a killer combination :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love your blog! Mmmm, jelly, mm food! Be well and have a great T-day.
    http://www.susanfoss.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ellie, I agree! Plums and star anise especially are just meant for each other.

    Thanks, Sue! Happy T-day to you, too!

    ReplyDelete
  9. This recipe intrigues me. It sounds like pretty much the best jelly ever.

    ReplyDelete
  10. And that's the best comment ever!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I know that obsession feeling. I'm a new canner, and I've made tons of jams and jellies in the past month. Tonight I made a jelly from the juice of yellow plums and white peaches and some star anise and cherry rum!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Fay - That sounds utterly superb! Keep on making those great jellies!

    ReplyDelete
  13. So, a couple weeks ago I made a pear jam with star anise...and the star anise turned into a soft vanilla-y flavor rather than the spicy anise flavor. Have you ever experienced this? Do you know why that would happen? I am so confused!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Margaret - Isn't that strange? I've never had that happen. In fact, the jar I keep my star anise in has been washed (waiting to buy a new batch) and it still smells spicy and anise-y. Hmm!

    ReplyDelete