Sunday, October 31, 2010

Country-Style Lamb Ribs

I didn't see too many recipes out there for this cut of lamb, so I figured I'd post this because it was so incredibly good. (I just wish the photo illustrated that a little more clearly, but I was hungry!) It's pretty intuitive. Lamb loves rosemary and lemon, of course. If you see these ribs for sale: buy them! I used this recipe from The Hungry Mouse as inspiration.

4 or 5 meaty country-style lamb ribs
1/2 cup of red wine
a sprig of fresh rosemary
big fat clove of garlic
lemon zest
salt
pepper

Put the ribs in a glass pan, cover them in red wine, add smashed up garlic (use a garlic press to just about liquefy them), lemon zest, salt and pepper. Pull the leaves off the sprig of rosemary and bruise or shred them a little, and sprinkle over the ribs. Turn them around a bit to get covered in all that good stuff. Let them sit for at least an hour. Preheat the oven to 325 degrees at some point. Put the ribs in a new pan, and pour the juices over them. Don't use any oil, because there will be more than enough lamb fat. After an hour, pour off the juices, reserve, and return the ribs to the oven. When they are done let the meat sit and rest.

Meanwhile, I highly recommend putting the hot baking dish on a burner (it should have a little bit of lamb fat in it, if it doesn't, scoop a spoonful off the top of the reserved juices), slicing up some mushrooms, tossing them in and sauteeing them. If it gets dry, add a little of the reserved liquid (at this point, with the fat drained off).

7 comments:

  1. roney123
    Now that's my style of cookin'!

    ReplyDelete
  2. never mind the hungry mouse, you are the inspiration! i love your persistent creative input to this otherwise rather dull food blogerism.
    thanks,
    m

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dane - Oh, it was sooo tasty!

    Michael - Aw, that's really nice, Michael. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm in the middle of preparing this as I write. Q: Instructions say cook for an hour (check). Drain marinade/fat (check). Put meat back in oven 'til done? (when do you consider the lamb done?). I'm sure it will be tasty, but your instructions are not really clear.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was wondering the same thing, so went to the "inspiration" Hungry Mouse recipe and it says 1-1/2 hrs total @ 325 Degrees. Doesn't seem like enough time to me? Guess I'll find out!

      Delete